Why Did We Change Our Previous Website ?
Our previous website (Which is still accessible from www.ethiopianreporter.com/prever) uses font embedding technique to display Amharic content. This approach has its own technical problems which limits our flexibility in sharing and delivering information across different browsers and platforms. Thanks to the advancement of technology and the Unicode Font Standard, now we can provide better service by upgrading our presentation and using latest web technologies. So to serve you better we would like to ask your cooperation to upgrade your browser to the latest version so as to avoid some font display problems.
UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER TO A LATEST VERSION
To upgrade your browser follow the following links:
- If you want to download/upgrade Internet Explorer click here.
- If you want to download/upgrade Mozilla Firefox click here ( Recommended)
- If you want to download/upgrade Google Chrome click here
Fixing the problem is extremely easy. But if it is difficult for you to follow the steps; ask an IT person or someone with a good computer knowledge to do it for you.
If you can’t see the Amharic content properly follow these steps:
- First download a Unicode font from here. (you can use any Unicode font like Power Geez Unicode, Visual Geez Unicode, Washera, etc)
- Then follow theses steps to install the font to your system
- Assuming you are using windows XP/vista /windows 7; find the windows font folder from your control panel: Click Start -> Settings ->Control Panel ->Fonts (This actually is in C:\Windows\Fonts folder in most windows versions, hence you can directly access the font folder by typing C:\Windows\Fonts in the "Run..." dialog box from the start menu)
- Copy the font you just downloaded (“Ethiopian Jiret” font) from our website to the Fonts folder.
- Assuming you have successfully downloaded and installed the font to your system open your favorite browser. We recommend you use Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer 8.
- If you are using Internet explorer go to Tools ->Internet Options a dialog box opens with a general tab selected as in the figure below:
Click the <<Font >>button; another dialog box opens as in the figure below:
From the Language script drop down select “Ethiopic” then from the Webpage font select “Ethiopian Jiret “ ( If you have downloaded and installed the font from our website ) or any other Amharic Unicode font you might have on your system. Then Click OK.
And finally go to the View menu of your browser and Hover your mouse cursor on “Encoding” and make sure the encoding is Unicode (UTF-8).
For Firefox users:
If you are using Mozilla Firefox then the steps are :
go to Tools ->Options and Click the Content tab
When the dialog opens click the Advanced… button to bring up the font configuration dialog
Select Ethiopic from “Fonts for:” drop down box and select “Ethiopian Jiret” or any other Unicode Amharic font from the “Serif:” drop down box do the same for “Monospace:” and click OK to finish. Again go to View ->Character Encoding and make sure Unicode (UTF-8) is selected.
Known Issues: If you are on a corporate intranet with internet access but with no administrator right, you may not be able to install anything on your computer. If this is the case kindly ask the system administrator to do it for you. We are sure installing a font will not be a security risk to the company.
We have also received emails from some individuals (Diasporas) saying that they don’t want to install a font to their precious Laptop or PC. Needless to say technology doesn’t work by magic and we would have loved to persuade you but it’s your choice and we can not presume to impose on you. All we say to you is farewell and we hope some day you will change your mind.
Finally, to use the full feature of our website (or any other website) and to enhance your experience, please don't forget to update your browsers at least once in a year.